Filed under Student Life

Key Club: Influencing the World Through Volunteering

The Key Club at Oxbridge Academy is a student led club that promotes volunteering for worthy causes locally. Ms. Kilian, a chemistry teacher at Oxbridge, is the staff representative for the Oxbridge Key Club. Julia Doherty, a senior at Oxbridge, is the student president of the Key Club. There are approximately one hundred students in the Key Club.

Most of the Key Club’s volunteering opportunities are local, in order to make it easy for students to help their community by volunteering after school or on the weekends. The Key Club periodically volunteers for Habitat for Humanity, which is an incredible organization that uses a hands-on volunteering approach.

One to two Mondays per month, the Key Club volunteers at the Lewis Center and helps feed approximately seventy homeless people. Oxbridge’s Chef Dan, provides the homeless shelter with pre-made meals for volunteers to serve. The students volunteer for several hours at a time, usually for about two hours from 5 o’clock to six forty-five in the evening, serving the people at the homeless shelter dinner. Hailey Smallwood, a sophomore at Oxbridge and key club volunteer says, “Feeding the homeless at the Lewis Center was a wonderful experience. Seeing the smiles on everyone’s face as we served them food was heartwarming. Volunteering there is something appreciated by all.”

Although the end of the school year is approaching, there are many more volunteering opportunities for students who want to help at the Lewis Center: April 10th, April 24th, May 8th, and lastly, May 22nd.

Every Tuesday, the Key Club volunteers at the Lord’s Place to help children with their homework, conduct fun activities, play sports, play with toys, and develop other useful skills for life from four to five-thirty after school. Along with weekly volunteering at the Lord’s Place, the Oxbridge Key Club annually hosts a Christmas party for the Lord’s Place families and brings gifts for the children. Without the passion of Ms. Kilian and the Key Club, the children at the Lord’s Place might not receive any gifts during the holiday season.

The Key Club promotes volunteering at the Quantum House at St. Mary’s Hospital. The Quantum House is a place in which children undergoing major surgery can stay with family members. Children come from all over the world to stay at the Quantum House where they anticipate surgery for the lengthening of limbs done by Dr. Paley, one of the only orthopedic surgeons in the world who can perform such a surgery.

The Key Club is an amazing club, and it is a great way to give back to your community. Sarah Garelick says, “Key Club is a great way to get community service hours, while enjoying quality time with your friends.” And Ms. Kilian, the club advisor says, “My favorite part of the Key Club is getting to see my students in a different light. The students at Oxbridge are unlike any students that I have encountered. They are all so caring and compassionate, and it makes me so proud to see how hard they work to help their community.”

Join the Key Club and begin influencing the world through volunteering!